Cattleya Orchid Block
Trace orchid name onto block and fill in with black fabric pen:
Finished size framed: 16 1/2" x 19 1/2"
Finished size block only: 12" x 15"
Fabric I (parchment chintz) 1/4 yard (need exactly 6 3/4")
Fabric II (dark purple print) 4 1/2" x 6" scrap
Fabric III (medium purple print) 1/8 yard (need exactly 4")
Fabric IV (medium lavender print) 1/8 yard (need exactly 2")
Fabric V (light lavender print) 4" x 7 1/2" scrap
Fabric VI (yellow print) 1/8 yard (need exactly 4")
Fabric VII (light green print) 3" x 9 1/2" scrap
Fabric VIII (medium green print) 3" x 7 1/4" scrap
Fabric IX (dark green print) 3" x 8" scrap
Refer to illustrations in Technique Tutor for techniques used. All diagonal corner and diagonal end units must be added in alphabetical order. Add one, press; then add the next.
- To begin, use diagonal corner technique to make one each of units 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12, 16, 17, 20, 21, 25, and 27.
- Use diagonal end technique to make one each of units 19 and 26. Refer to illustrations for correct placement of each unit. After completion of diagonal end construction on Unit 26, add diagonal corner 26b.
- Make triangle-square Unit 11 according to Technique Tutor diagrams.
- Refer frequently to full block illustration for correct placement of units. Begin by joining units 3 and 4; then add Unit 2 to top of combined units. Join Unit 5 to right side; then add Unit 1 to top of combined units.
- Join units 7 and 8; then join Unit 6 to right side of combined units, matching seams.
- Join units 10 and 11; then add these combined units to opposite sides of Unit 12. Join Unit 9 to left side. Join combined units 6, 7, and 8 to combined units 9-12 as shown. Add combined units 1-5 to right side of orchid top. Join Unit 13 to left side; then add Unit 14 to top as shown to complete orchid top.
- For orchid bottom, begin by joining units 15 and 16. Join units 17 and 18; then add to combined units 15-16 as shown. Join units 19 and 20. Join units 22 and 23; then add Unit 21 to top of these combined units. Join Unit 24 to right side. Join all three combined unit sections together as shown in diagram to complete orchid center; then add to orchid top matching seams.
- Join units 25, 26 and 27 together in a row as shown; then add Unit 28 to bottom of these combined units. Join orchid bottom to orchid top section.
- Add Unit 29 to opposite sides of orchid; then join Unit 30 to top and bottom as shown. Join Unit 31 to opposite sides. Join border Unit 32 to top and bottom; then add Unit 33 to opposite sides to complete framed block.
1. Trace orchid name onto block as shown and fill in with black fabric pen.
© Pam Bono Designs,
Used here with permission.